I keep a mason jar full of honey, lemon & ginger cough syrup in our fridge at all times. It doesn't matter what season it is, as long as there are young children in our home, our fridge will have a jar of this stuff.
Why you ask?! Because it's quick and easy to make, I know exactly what's in it, and it works! Of course, you must be mindful of the fact that there is honey in this concoction so you can only use it on toddlers one years of age or older.
With that said, here's how to make it:
- Clean and slice two lemons.
- Break off 3 to 4 stems of ginger, cut off the skin then cut up the ginger (anyway that you like).
- Fill the mason jar with the lemon and ginger slices, alternating and intermixing the two.
- Pour raw honey over the entire thing (raw, raw, raw....the honey must be raw).
- Take a knife and chop at the mixture within the jar to get the juices of the lemon flowing.
- Add the mason jar lid and refrigerate for 2-3 days before use.
That's it. THAT. IS. IT. Stop buying cough syrup, my friends.
It really needs to sit in the fridge for a few days for the ingredients to really immerse themselves with each other. After it's sat for a bit, we usually try to use it up within 2-3 weeks. You may need to shake the jar a bit before use. When it's needed, take a tablespoon (or two) at a time.
FYI: A huge plus, besides all of the benefits of all of those natural ingredients, is the fact that it tastes crazy good. I have no problem getting Madison to take it and I occasionally use it as a sweetener for my tea. So, yes, Maddie takes it, I take it, Mario takes it.
Make it, use it, love it.
You're welcome ;).
Photo Credit by Anda Ambrosini