Last week, I shared the recipe I use to create my own honey, lemon and ginger "cough syrup" for toddlers/family. It's an all natural remedy that has ingredients that are not only tasty together but are incredibly powerful against helping to fight colds and sore throats. Let's take a look at each ingredient and the work it does to help you and your little ones feel better.
(Raw) HoneyIt's essential that the honey you use is raw, organic (optional) and unpasteurized to obtain the most benefits.
- Contains antioxidant, antibacterial, and antimicrobial properties to fight against viruses, bacteria, and fungus.
- Improves digestive system.
- The thick texture of honey coats sore/scratchy throats; soothing and relieving irritation.
- Provides a boost to the immune system to help fight off cold symptoms.
- Helps to prevents future colds and other viruses.
- Decreases the strength of the cold virus.
- Reduces phlegm.
- Loaded with Vitamin C to help support the body's natural defenses.
- Naturally antiviral to fight against bacteria.
- Stimulates perspiration to cleanse the system and regulate body temperature.
- Contains antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties to boost the immune system.
- Acts as an antihistamine and decongestant to relieve cold symptoms.
- Natural pain reliever, fever reducer and mild sedative.
ALSO READ: Honey, Lemon & Ginger Recipe
As you can see, each ingredient alone has a lot to offer. When you put all of the benefits of those ingredients together you give your body multiple defenses to fight against the aches, pains and irritation of a cold and/or sore throat. So give this cough syrup for toddlers a try (so long as they're above age one), and let me know what your children, and your family as a whole, think!
Photo by Jill Chen
Sources - Honey for Colds, Cold & Flu Home Remedies, Ginger for Colds