It’s National Autism Awareness Month! Tomorrow, April 2nd, is specifically designated for the “Light It Up Blue” campaign. People around the world will wear blue, and some buildings will use blue lighting in support of autism awareness. Photos, tweets, posts and all things autism can also be found across the web under the hastag #LIUB!
“World Autism Awareness Day (WAAD), celebrated each year on April 2, was adopted by the United Nations in 2007 to shine a bright light on autism as a growing global health crisis.” -source
A Few Facts & Stats:
- Autism affects 1 in 68.
- It's the fastest growing developmental disorder, yet most underfunded. Donate.
- $40% of children with autism don't speak. Be mindful.
- Autism greatly varies from person to person. Everyone is different.
- Early intervention improves outcomes. Early diagnosis is key.
- Behavioral therapy makes a difference. Let's advocate for health coverage for this.
- Nearly 2/3rds of children with autism have been bullied. Stand up to it when seen.
“On World Autism Awareness Day, Autism Speaks celebrates its international Light It Up Blue Campaign. Thousands of iconic landmarks, communities, businesses and homes across the globe unite by shining bright blue lights in honor of the millions of individuals and families around the world affected by autism.” -source
Will you join me in wearing blue tomorrow?!