When my co-worker (read = boss) took a few of us out for lunch a few weeks ago she let me try her blue cheese macaroni and cheese dish at Tyler's Restaurant and Taproom. It had me so enthralled that I thought about how to make it the rest of the week and tried my hand at it as soon as the weekend arrived. I even made it again two nights ago. It's just that good!
Blue Cheese Macaroni & Cheese
Prep Time: 20 min | Cook Time: 45 - 60 minutes in preheated oven
4-5 strips Bacon, cooked, chopped
3 cups Rotini Pasta
2 1/2 cups Milk
4 tbs Butter, unsalted
4 tbs Flour
11 oz. Cheddar Cheese
4 oz. Blue Cheese
1 slice Bread, crumbled
1/4 tsp dried Basil
1/2 tbs Olive Oil, to grease pan
Salt/Pepper, to tasteInstructions
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cook bacon in the oven on top of a cooling rack inside of a pan (see below) for ~18 minutes (timing depends on type of bacon and oven).
- While the bacon is cooking cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- Set aside to drain upon completion.
- Add milk to a pan and allow to heat gently, careful not to scorch.
- In a separate pan add the butter until melting on low/medium heat.
- Add the flour to the butter, stirring to combine.
- As the mixture begins to thicken add the milk while stirring.
- Turn off heat after the mixture has thickened, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the cheeses to the mixture, stir until combined.
- Upon removing the bacon from the oven reduce the temperature to 350 degrees.
- Add pasta and chopped bacon and mix until combined.
- Pour mixture into a lightly oiled cast iron pan.
- Add dried basil and torn bread to a mixer to "crumble.
- Sprinkle on top of mixture.
- Bake for 45 - 60 minutes in preheated oven, or until top is golden brown.