Italian food is my thing! My favorite restaurants are the Olive Garden, Carrabbas, Macaroni Grill...you get my drift! At home, one of my go-to-foods is spaghetti because it's quick, cheap, lasts a few days and Maddie seems to like it a lot!
- I've never made baked spaghetti until now because I thought that extra step (baking it) was such a waste of time and if I was going to do that I might as well make lasagna.
- I've been dreading switching to 100% Whole Grain pasta so I've been avoiding pasta dishes for a while until now!
- This is the best spaghetti I've ever made and the husband's response was "Babe, this is REALLY good!" He's terribly picky and didn't even notice that I only used sausage instead of beef + sausage, not to mention the whole grain pasta....until I told him so!
Here's how you make this yummy dish for dinner, enjoy...
1/2 package of Hillshire Farms Beef Smoked Sausage
1/2 package of Ronzoni Healthy Harvest, 100% Whole Grain Spaghetti
1 Clove of Garlic, minced
1 Small yellow onion, chopped
1/2 Green pepper, chopped
1 Can diced tomatoes
Spaghetti sauce, as desired*
Herbs & Spices, as desired**
1 1/2 Cups of Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1/2 Cup of Mozzarella Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet saute sausage for 10 minutes then add the garlic, onion and pepper and cook until softened.
- Add the diced tomatoes, your favorite spaghetti sauce (in the amount that you prefer, I like a lot of sauce)* and any herbs and spices you prefer and let simmer."
- Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti noodles according to the package for a minute or two less than directed.
- Drain pasta and add to the spaghetti sauce skillet.
- Add 1 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Incorporate noodles and cheese into the sauce completely.
- Pour the spaghetti into an appropriately sized casserole dish (I used a 2 quart dish).
- Top with the remaining mixture of cheese (1/2 cup of cheddar/ 1/2 cup of mozzarella).
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.